On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been swapped out, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Ambient Air in Tucson about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the amount of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Ambient Air. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Ambient Air about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not need changing.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Tucson home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Ambient Air a call at 520-357-4912.