While winter seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its effect on our heating bill is only beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at 520-201-3871. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Tucson weather.